- Ph.D. (GEOLOGY), Lehigh University 1984
- M.A. (GEOLOGY), Brooklyn College/CUNY, 1976
- B.S. (GEOLOGY), Brooklyn College/CUNY, 1973
- A.S. (ENGINEERING SCIENCE) College of Staten Island/CUNY, 1967
Lecturer, Department of Engineering Science and Physics
Areas of Interest:
(1) A study of chemical gradients in coexisting Basaltic and Trondhjemitic Magmas. We have discovered a xenolith of Na-rich Lockatong argillite that fused around its margins when immersed in the magma of the Palisades Sill. The complex chemistry of the fusion
zone, now represented as a pyroxene trondhjemite, indicated diffusion of ions across the liquid-liquid interface. Slices, cut perpendicular to the long axis of a core containing the 200 million year old contiguous rocks, were chemically analyzed for major, minor, and trace elements including REE's. What are the relative diffusivities of these ions in the coexisting melts? Why didn't the two melts physically mix?
(2) The petrogenesis of leucocratic dike-like rocks in the Palisades Sill, and Laurel Hill intrusive. Our chemical data, including chondrite-normalized REE plots, indicate that many of the leucocratic dikes in these intrusives are derived from fused sediment, and are not differentiates of the Palisades magma, or any other basaltic magma. We are interested in understanding the physiochemical factors that play a role in sediment fusion.
(3) Environmental GIS(Geographical Information Systems) studies of Staten Island: i.e., Ground water studies , surface water studies , soil and rock studies.; slope studies and cancer studies.
(4) Pedagogy: Improving laboratory instruction by using the latest technology and innovative methods.
Project Themes :
1) Petrogenesis of the Staten Island Metaperidotite using Cr-Spinels as a petrogenetic indicator.
Office: 1N-109/4N-220(Geographical Information Systems Laboratory)
Tel: (718) 982-2835
Fax: (718) 982-2830
Email: alan [dot] benimoff [at] csi [dot] cuny [dot] edu
Department of Engineering Science and Physics
College of Staten Island
City University of New York
2800 Victory Blvd
Staten Island, NY 10314
. Jovanovic Vladimir, Shaw Richard and Benimoff, Alan I. (2011)TRACE METAL CONTENT OF SOME FORESTED SOILS ON THE WEST SHORE OF STATEN ISLAND, NY GSA Abstracts with Programs Vol. 43, No. 1.
. Muller, Otto, Benimoff, Alan I., Kelly William M. (2011)NYSGA Guidebooks to Google Earth GSA Abstracts with Programs Vol. 43, No. 1.
. Benimoff, Alan I., and Brady, Patricia (2011) Cultural Geology of Staten island, NY. GSA Abstracts with Programs Vol. 43, No. 1.
. Muller, Otto, Benimoff, Alan, I, and Kelly, William M.(2010) BRINGING NYSGA FIELD TRIPS TO GOOGLE EARTH, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs Vol. 42, No. 1
Benimoff, Alan, I. (2010) A GIS STUDY OF URBANIZATION IN HURRICANE SLOSH ZONES ON STATEN ISLAND Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs Vol. 42, No. 1
GERMINE, Mark, , TRENT, Terry, , ABRAHAM, Jerrold L., , PUFFER, John H., and BENIMOFF, Alan I.(2009)EXPOSURE TO TREMOLITE FIBERS OF NATURAL ORIGIN IN THE EL DORADO HILLS AREA, CALIFORNIA: A CASE STUDY OF IN VIVO ALTERATION, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 41, No. 7, p. 703
Puffer, John H., Benimoff, Alan I. and Steiner, Jeffrey (2009) Geochemical Characterization Of The Manhattan Schist And Its Distribution Throughout Manhattan, New York, GSA Abstracts with Programs Vol. 41, No. 3
Benimoff Alan I., and Puffer, John, H. (2008) Sediment Fusion In the Palisades Sill and Karroo Dolerite: A Comparison. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. 2008 joint annual meeting. GSA Abstacts with Programs Vol 40. No 6.
Benimoff, Alan and Marian V. Lupulescu, I. (2008)ZONED ACCESSORY CR-SPINEL IN THE STATEN ISLAND SERPENTINITE FROM A NEW RICHMOND ROAD OUTCROP IN STATEN ISLAND, NY, GSA Abstracts with Programs Vol. 40, No. 2
Benimoff, A. I.(2007) URBAN HYDROLOGY: A GIS STUDY OF FLOODING THAT OCCURRED ON JULY 26, 1988 IN THE SWEETBROOK DRAINAGE BASIN IN STATEN ISLAND, NY. GSA Abstracts with Programs Vol. 39, No. 6.
Department of Engineering Science and Physics, 1N-225
College of Staten Island of
The City University of New York
2800 Victory Blvd., Staten Island, NY 10314
Tel: (718) 982-2800
Fax: (718) 982-2830